The Heart Lake Association was established in 1930 to promote and maintain a private, residential community for lake front property owners that is environmentally and recreationally safe.
As the Ice Age slowly pulled away form the Northeastern portion of Pennsylvania it carved out many valleys. Many of which formed lakes and ponds. As time and nature reclaimed the land early Indians settled near a small pond in the north-eastern portion of what is now Pennsylvania. They called their piece of heaven calling it “minwashin” ,meaning “It is beautiful”.
For over 15 thousand years the Indians of the region passed by. Relaxing, fishing and swimming they enjoyed their “minwashin”. Areas surrounding the area were always in dispute but “minwashin” was an area to settle disputes in peace.
Shortly after the Europeans settled along the coast of the Americas, they migrated inwards. Finding ample fish and game they crossed the Delaware River and pushed west. Slowly purchasing lands from the Indians they reached “minwashin”. The Indians would not want to part with the land and the lake. After a long and bitter war the Indians were push out of the area.
As the new settlers converted the forests into farms and tilled the soil for food they stumbled upon a small lake in the midst of the trees. The settlers set up small camps by the shore for a place to relax.
Settlement began in the East Bridgewater area first, later on the New Milford Twp. Side. Local history books say William VanHousen was the first to settle in the Heart Lake area when he began his clearing in 1826. The Curtis family, of Conn., came to East Bridgewater from Herkimer Co. NY in 1806. Their second son Harvy built the first gristmill on Heart Lake in 1823. Cornelius Curtis, a nephew of Harvy, married, in 1847, Chaollette, daughter of Harvey Griffing, Sr.
By 1870, most, if not all the perimeter of Heart Lake was was owned by the Griffing, Cobb and Kimber families. In 1837 Harvy Griffing, Sr. purchased 141 acres from Harvey Curtis
Over time the resources were so abundant the homes were built. A clubhouse, post office, and a train station.
By 1930 the residents of the lake created an association to preserve the beauty and family feel of the lake.
The association has maintained the quality of the lake and the harmony within the community through various functions throughout the year.